Table of Contents
- Entrance Exams
- Prepare for the Entrance Exams
- Tips to get to the Best College
- Skills required
- Reasons to pursue
- List of Photography courses after 10th
- Job Description
- Job Prospects
Diploma in Photography – An overview
Photography is one of the most popular career choices in India, and with the ever growing popularity of the field, the demand for skilled photographers is increasing. This is why a Diploma in Photography is gaining immense popularity among aspiring photographers. With the right skills, knowledge, and training, one can easily pursue a career in photography.
A Diploma in Photography after 10th provides aspiring photographers with a comprehensive overview of the art as they get to learn theoretical and practical aspects of photography such as lighting, composition, camera settings, and editing. It is a one-year course but one can complete a Certification in Photography after 10th in just six months. Check out the course fee range for a diploma in photography courses here.
The demand for professional photographers is on the rise, and this means that there is a great potential for photographers to make a successful career in the industry. According to a report published by the Indian Council of Market Research, the Indian photography industry is projected to experience substantial growth in the coming years due to an increasing number of photography enthusiasts in the country. By 2025, it is estimated that the market size of the industry will reach a staggering Rs. 2.6 lakh crore. This growth will open up numerous opportunities and avenues for photography enthusiasts to explore.
Diploma in Photography – An overview
Diploma in Photography – Admissions
To be considered for admission to a Diploma in Photography course, candidates must complete the following steps:
- Aptitude tests or personal interviews are typically used by most colleges offering the course to assess candidates’ suitability.
- Eligible students must apply online by visiting the website and completing the registration forms.
- Once registered, students must provide all necessary details in the application form and pay the registration fee online.
- The colleges will create a merit list to determine the final selection of candidates for the course.
- After a personal interview, colleges will contact students via email or phone to finalize their selection and require payment of the course fees.
Some colleges may also request a portfolio of photographs taken by the student applying for the course.
Diploma in Photography – Eligibility
Most institutes have the same eligibility criteria for students who want to apply for a Diploma in Photography after 10th. The details are as follows:
- Candidates must have completed 10th or an equivalent examination from a recognized board with a minimum percentage of marks as prescribed by the institution.
- Some institutions may require candidates to submit a portfolio of their photographic work along with their application.
- Students must have a strong interest in photography and basic knowledge of how to take a photograph.
- Some institutions may require candidates to take an entrance exam to assess their skills and knowledge related to photography.
Check if you are eligible for a diploma in photography course here.
Diploma in Photography – Entrance Exams
The Diploma in Photography after 10th requires passing an entrance exam. Two schools offer entrance exams:
- The Asian Academy of Film and Television conducts an online test called the AAFT GEE, which assesses candidates’ aptitude. This is followed by a personal interview.
- The Creative Hut Institute of Photography and Film conducts its own institute-level entrance exam for admission to the diploma photography course and other related courses.
Diploma in Photography – Prepare for the Entrance Exams
- To get ready for entrance exams, candidates should review the syllabus posted on the college website.
- For the Diploma in Photography exam, the online aptitude test will cover fundamental topics such as camera usage and photo composition. Therefore, it’s recommended that candidates study photography books to prepare. Apply for a student loan to pursue a diploma photography course here.
- Additionally, candidates can utilize online resources to learn about photography techniques and the top photographers in the country to improve their chances of success on the aptitude test.
Diploma in Photography – Tips to get to the Best College
- If you’re looking to get into a good college for a Diploma in Photography, it’s important to prepare well for the personal interview that some colleges require. You can find online resources about body language and interview questions to help you prepare.
- Be ready to answer common questions such as why you’ve chosen photography as a field of study and why you’re interested in specific areas of photography. To be considered for the program, it’s essential that you have a genuine interest in photography.
- Additionally, having a portfolio of your previous work is important. Your portfolio showcases your unique perspective and demonstrates your skills as a candidate for the diploma photography course.
Diploma in Photography – Skills required
A Diploma in Photography after 10th requires a combination of technical skills and artistic abilities. Some other skills are:
- Understanding of camera equipment: An aspirant photographer needs to have a basic understanding of their camera equipment, including lenses, exposure settings, and lighting equipment.
- Knowledge of composition and design: A budding photographer needs to understand the principles of composition and design to create visually appealing photographs.
- Ability to work with light: A photographer must be able to manipulate natural and artificial light to create the desired effect in their photographs.
- Editing skills: A diploma in photography after 10th also requires proficiency in editing software such as Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom.
- Creative thinking: Photography is an art form, and a diploma in photography requires creative thinking to produce unique and compelling images.
- Communication skills: A photographer must be able to communicate effectively with clients and subjects to capture the desired image.
- Time management skills: Photography projects often have deadlines, and a diploma in photography requires the ability to manage time effectively to meet those deadlines.
- Attention to detail: A photographer needs to have a keen eye for detail to capture the perfect shot and edit images to perfection.
Diploma in Photography – Reasons to pursue
According to some reports, the photography industry is on a path to recovery after the COVID-19 pandemic and is expected to grow at a significant rate in the coming years. Some of the factors that contribute to this growth are:
- The increasing demand for digital content across various platforms and sectors.
- The rising popularity of social media and online platforms for showcasing photography skills.
- The availability of affordable and advanced cameras and equipment.
Here’s why you should choose a career as a Photographer:
- A one-year Diploma Photography course is specifically designed to help students achieve their goal of becoming professional photographers.
- The Diploma in Photography course covers a variety of disciplines, including advertisements, fashion, wildlife, and healthcare, among others. Additionally, students can choose to specialize in Documentary, Travel, and Nature Photography.
- Throughout the program, students will learn the foundations of photography, the history of photography, the basics of photoshop, and natural and artificial lighting. These are fundamental subjects that are covered in every Diploma in Photography course.
- In addition to theoretical knowledge, students will gain practical exposure and hands-on experience through projects, internships, and workshops. This will help students develop their skills and create a strong portfolio, which is essential in the photography industry.
- Professional photographers are in high demand for various types of photography, including fashion, product, photojournalism, and magazine shoots. This course is designed to provide candidates with the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in their chosen field of photography.
- Graduates of this course have a wide range of career options available to them, such as working in advertising media, news media, documentary firms, magazines, event management organizations, theater, movies, and more.
- After completing the course, graduates can expect to earn an average salary of INR 2-5 lakhs annually as a fresher, depending on their area of specialization. The job profiles candidates can opt for include Photographer, Wildlife Photographer, Wedding Photographer, Fashion Photographer, Product Photographer, Photojournalist, etc.
- Many top recruiting companies, such as National Geographic, Amazon, Zolo, Hilton, Flipkart, The Times of India, Discovery Channel, Conde Nast, etc. are always on the lookout for talented photographers, making this an exciting career path to pursue.
List of Photography courses after 10th
|ITI Digital Photography||Class 10||1 year||
|Diploma courses in Photography||Class 10||1-2 years/ part time||
|Certificate courses||Class 10||1 month to 1 year (varies from course to course)||
Diploma in Photography – Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|History of Photography I||History of Photography II|
|Introduction to Image Making||Documentary Photography I|
|Basics of Digital Photography||Photojournalism|
|Basics of Photoshop||Research: Theory and Practice|
|Street Photography||Writing for Photography|
|Basic Lighting and Flash techniques||–|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Advanced Lighting Techniques||Commercial Photography|
|Portraiture: Environmental/Location||Portfolio Production|
|Studio Portraiture||Documentary Photography II|
|Still Life||Documentary Research and Project|
Diploma in Photography – Job Description
Photography is a vast field that offers numerous career opportunities. After completing 10th grade, students can enroll in photography courses to specialize in various sub-disciplines. Professional photographers can work independently or collaboratively with colleagues, depending on their preference. Moreover, photographers can take on diverse roles based on their area of expertise. In the following paragraphs, we’ll explore a few of these roles.
Diploma in Photography – Job Prospects
Prospects for jobs after completing a Diploma in Photography are generally positive. Employers seek candidates who not only possess expertise and knowledge in current digital trends and related fields (ex.- in the fashion industry) but also demonstrate a willingness to adapt to new industry developments. This is a popular career choice in today’s job market.
The following are some popular job opportunities available after completing a Diploma in Photography:
1. Fashion Photographer | Average Salary range 6-12 lakhs
A fashion photographer specializes in taking pictures of clothing and personal appearance for use in print and electronic media, such as fashion magazines and advertisements. They often work for well-known labels or celebrities.
2. Industrial Photographer | Average Salary range 4-10 lakhs
Similarly, industrial photographers take pictures of machinery, products, and employees for use in marketing materials and websites, aiming to portray the manufacturing process and duties of employees.
3. Wildlife Photographer | Average Salary range 9-12 lakhs
Wildlife photographers specialize in photographing wild animals and birds for artistic and scientific purposes.
4. Sports Photographer | Average Salary range 9 lakhs
Sports photographers capture athletic events, from big games to warm-up sessions, and must work quickly to capture the action.
5. Event Photographer | Average Salary range 6-10 lakhs
Event photographers are hired to capture large-scale or noteworthy events, such as weddings or business meetings, to promote or document the occasion.
6. Travel Photographer | Average Salary range 3-9 lakhs
Travel photographers document the beauty, culture, and traditions of a place, often working for travel magazines (such as National Geographic or Outlook Traveller) or web portals as freelancers based on the number of images they can publish.
7. Photojournalist | Average Salary range 4-6 lakhs
Photojournalists report news events (like a rebellion or the Olympics) through photos, conveying a story through images and accompanying material.
Diploma in Photography – Scope
Diploma courses in photography teach students the fundamentals of photography and equip them with the necessary skills and techniques to be successful in their chosen field. The courses provide a comprehensive understanding of the art, and also help the students to hone their skills and acquire the professionalism required to make a successful career.
A fresher who has completed Diploma courses in Photography has a wide range of career options to choose from, depending on their interest, skills, and portfolio. Some of the common scopes for a fresher are:
Travel Photographer: A travel photographer can work for magazines, newspapers, websites, or travel agencies.
Wildlife Photographer: A wildlife photographer specializes to work for wildlife organizations, conservation groups, or media outlets.
Nature Photographer: A nature photographer focuses on working for environmental agencies, tourism boards, or art galleries.
Street Photographer: A street photographer works for social media platforms, blogs, or exhibitions.
Photojournalist: A photojournalist covers news events and stories for newspapers, magazines, websites, or television channels.
Fashion Photographer: A fashion photographer shoots images of models for fashion magazines, brands, or designers.
These are some of the popular scopes for a fresher who has completed Diploma courses in photography. However, there are many other fields where photography skills are required such as advertisements, healthcare, education, sports, etc.
In conclusion, pursuing a diploma in photography can open up vast opportunities for aspiring photographers. The diploma will help them to acquire the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to make a successful career in the industry. With the growth in the industry and the expansive market size, photography enthusiasts can rest assured that their profession will be a lucrative one. Invest in your future and take out a student loan for the PG diploma in photography here.